It is very obvious that I don’t want to explain what a yellow teeth is and how it will look like. However, just to get a sense of it, here is a picture. Oops, how bad it is? No wonder why anyone want to avoid this damn yellow teeth
Causes of Yellow Teeth
Before getting into how to avoid and cure, let’s see some basic reasons for yellow tooth.
1) Having a bad hygiene and food habit is a primary reason for getting yellow teeth in many cases.
2) Especially taking stuffs like tea, coffee and wine are some of the top list.
3) Tobacco usage and smoking has high probable reasons for stained teeth.
4) Surroundings can have an impact on our stained teeth. Air and water with high level of fluorides can cause this.
5) Taking antibiotics over a period of time can be another reason. Especially tetracycline and doxycycline are in the top list.
6) For some people, it is genetic reason. In children this is very much common. They have stained or discolored teeth right from their childhood. In this case, there is nothing to do much through natural means. Perhaps veneers and blue light technology can help. (We will see about these treatments in the later part of this post)
7) Aging – There is an element called dentin under our enamel. As we get older, enamel fades away leaving us dentin to show to our neighbor. This can be another reason.
Avoiding Yellow teeth
As we always say prevention is better than cure, now we will see methods that can help us prevent getting us stained teeth.
Regular brushing can avoid yellow teeth to a great extent. It is advisable to teeth more than 2 or 3 times a day. We need to see that the food is not in contact of the teeth for more time. May be you want to refer our previous post on how to brush your teeth
2) Proper diet habits
As said earlier proper food intake has a major role to play. Following a hygienic life and less consumption of tea, coffee, beverages and wine can prevent yellow teeth in the first place. Smoking should also be kept to as minimum as possible. It is better to avoid this.
In my opinion the above two simple methods can help us avoid getting a stained teeth.
Treatment for yellow teeth
OK, now that you have yellow teeth and need to get rid of this. There are many methods to do this – Simple, free and costly methods are available. You can choose any of the following treatments based on your tooth damage, budget and preferences.
1) Usage of whitening mouthwash
Just intake the mouthwash, rinse your teeth and it has already started to work! This method is applicable to less stained teeth.
2) Whitening pastes
There are many commercial pastes available in the market. You could choose the best one and start to use them. There are many cheap pastes available, so please make sure you choose the best one for you.
3) Bleach your teeth
Bleaching teeth is a traditional treatment for yellow teeth. This must be done with the help of dentist. Your teeth will be subjected to a highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution. This treatment will last for an hour or so. This can give you a relief for couple or more years.
We do also have teeth whitening strips and trays. They operate under the same way of bleaching teeth.
4) Porcelain dental Veneers
Veneers are porcelain strip that is placed permanently over your teeth. It can last for 10 to 15 years and costs over $1000 – $3000 per tooth. This is a very effective treatment for yellow teeth. The cost and side effects are a bit tougher side for us to choose this method.
5) Blue light teeth whitening method
This is another dental method performed by dentists. Here your teeth will be subjected to laser beam and light with hydrogen peroxide concentration. With this method, it is easy to remove teeth stains. Again he cost involved in this process is high compared to conventional and home based methods.
That’s it from me. So, do you have yellow teeth? Please feel free to share your experiences.